GATE/Johns Hopkins CTY Program Fall 2018
(class size restricted to maximum of 10 only)
Strictly first come, first served
(unfortunately, we cannot hold spots for this session)
- Gifted and Talented or GATE is still prevalent in FUSD and often used as a benchmark for differentiated education. As a result, different tutorial centers have started providing GATE Coaching, and there is a lot of misinformation floating around the web.
- While we offer a GATE program, we first urge families to familiarize themselves with what GATE is, and the correct criterion of qualification.
- Whether you enroll in our program or not, we hope that our public service summary will assist you to decide what is best for your child with the accurate information at hand. DO NOT be misled with unverifiable claims and conclusions.
GATE Classes are restricted to 10 students only. Students must be in Grade 2 or Grade 3.
What is GATE?
1. Many public schools across the United States offer differentiated education to children who qualify under different criterion for the Gifted Learners program
2. GATE programs were first initiated in 1972 as a result of the Maryland Report of the Dept. of Education
3. Please note that GATE is NOT an IQ test - it was never intended to be one. We have MENSA for that.
3. Various school districts use different standardized tests as a benchmark for qualification - some popular tests are NNAT, OLSAT, and CoGAT
4. FUSD provides an excellent summary of GATE at this site: https://www.fremont.k12.ca.us/Page/234
GATE in FUSD
1. While the academic community still debates the usefulness or lack thereof of a differentiated education, the reality is that GATE identification is still in practice at most California school districts, and Fremont Unified School District is still one to adhere to GATE classification
2. GATE qualification, as of now, opens up opportunities for taking Honors classes in many areas in high school
MISINFORMATION ABOUT GATE
1. GATE is NOT an IQ test
2. No, you CANNOT ABSOLUTELY prepare for GATE. However, you can train, and it does increase your performance
3. Familiarity with the test is a battle half won - practice helps, and so does confidence when something familiar appears in front of us
4. Unlike some test centers, note that GATE DOES NOT REQUIRE 98 PERCENT - the criterion is PERCENTILE - a statistical concept VERY DIFFERENT from percent. Scoring in the 98 percentile means that you have scored MORE THAN 98% of the test takers who took the test with you.
5. For example, if you took a test out of 10, and got 9.8 - that would be 98%. On the other hand, if you got only 1.5 out of 10, but every other candidate got zero, you are in the 98 percentile (actually, 99.99 percentile).
6. No one can GUARANTEE GATE - that is False Advertising looking at you. The purpose is to familiarize and train the mind to think logically and critically - it is SKILL BUILDING, NOT TEST PREP.
MATHPI ACADEMY GATE OFFERINGS
1.MathPi Academy will offer 10 intensive 90 minute sessions for GATE preparation in Fall 2018
2. All three areas of GATE - Quantitative, Verbal and Non-Quantitative or Logical Reasoning will be covered to mimic an actual test
3. Each class will be for $30 with a one time $25 registration fee. The registration fee is waived for children enrolling in the regular Math classes as well.
4. There are 10 sessions, so the cost of attending the GATE program is $325 for students only registering for GATE and $300 for students registering for GATE and a Math session.
5. We will only offer a GATE session if we have at least 3-4 children enrolled in a section. We WILL NOT accept more than 6-8 kids - this program needs individualized attention
6. We WILL NOT, SHOULD NOT, and CANNOT guarantee GATE. We will help build critical thinking skills, an analytical mind, and a prepared, confident child.
GATE CLASS SCHEDULE: SUNDAYS FROM 9:30 to 11:00 A.M.
If you have further questions or to ENROLL, please send an email to email@example.com with the following information
- Your Name
- Your Child/Children's Name
- School and Grade Level
- Classes interested in
- Has prior experience with CoGAT, NNAT, OLAST, OR Johns Hopkins CTY